So you have become a mother. You twist all around the whole day, like a squirrel in a wheel, and still you do not have enough time. You feel sick, everything goes wrong, Nobody understands you, and you have the patience to the limit. What’s happening? It seems that you have postpartum depression. My Canadian Pharmacy will help you identify whether you have a postnatal depression or not.
- Your eyes are constantly wet – you are crying all the time;
- A crying baby makes you crusty. Are you ready to do anything to stop this little tyrant;
- You have a strong feeling that all the relatives are watching your every move, and just waiting for you to do something wrong – then they have a reasonable right to teach you how to live;
- You feel absolutely helpless in front of these circumstances. You have nowhere to hide, no one can help you, protect and take on the burden of maternal care. You feel scary for yourself and even worse – for the child. At the same time you do not feel any joy, taking care for the baby, although properly perform all the doctor’s instructions. Yes, you have given birth to this baby, but you are still a stranger;
- You’re afraid to lose your temper at any moment, so you are trying to control yourself as hard as possible. But inside you feel a compressed spring, compressing stronger and stronger;
- Sex makes you feel a deep disgust;
- You do not even want to approach to the mirror. Throughout the pregnancy you’ve dreamed about a slim and beautiful figure, but the reality turned out to be too harsh to you. Most skinny jeans still lay on the far shelf and you have to be content with wide loose overalls as if you have a six months pregnancy. Your own view annoys you.
Postnatal depression doesn’t necessarily include all the symptoms, but if you have at least four signs of depression, it is an occasion to think seriously.
Why do you need to overcome depression?
- You are not the only one who suffers. After all, in spite of the fact that he is very small at the moment, he feels that he is a stranger to you. So, you have no emotional contact, which is so important at this tender age. It was proved that the mother’s postnatal depression negatively affects the child, especially the formation of a sense of security, internal self-defense mechanism, concentration, speech development;
- If there is no depression treatment, your condition will only get worse every day. There are so many stories of mothers and grandmothers about how terrible was the first year of their child (especially the first-born), they remember it as a nightmare? The nightmare can last from several days to several years. And the longer it lasts, the greater impact it has on all aspects of family life.
In many cultures there was a very useful habit – after giving birth there came the closest relatives and they took care of all the housework, freeing a new mother for at least a month. Alas, this wonderful tradition has remained in the past. But no one prevents you to ask for help a mom, a sister or a mother-in-law. Moreover, it is better to find a au pair in advance, not at the moment when you are already at the limit of your nerves.
- Tell your close people what is happening to you. It only seems to you that all is clear, and there is nothing to explain. From another side everything looks different. Relatives are also recommended avoiding the phrases such as: “You could pull yourself together and not become a milksop” or “You behave unfair in relation to me,” etc. A young mother needs your comfort most of all in this period, as well as love and real help around the house;
- Reach agreement with your husband that once a week you will arrange a “mother’s day off.” Think in advance how you want to spend it – in a beauty salon or may be you visit your favorite friend, do to the pool, the sauna or to a cafe. The main thing is to get out of the house, from the familiar environment.
Talk to your husband on the matter of your reluctance to have sex. Just try to do this tactfully. Doctors do not recommend to make love during 4-6 weeks after birth – for purely physiological reasons. But then, keep in mind – sex often helps to get rid of depression.
How to deal with depression?
If you do not have one single moment for yourself, think whether your life is arranged rationally.
- Healthy nutrition will be of great help to you. Yes, it’s not the cheapest food, but now it is more important for you to spend some time on yourself than on cooking of delicacies and dainties;
- Try to sleep as much as possible – preferably, together with the child. Another option is to lay the baby on a nap on the balcony. If you fear that you will fall asleep and will not hear your baby crying, use a baby monitor – a device that allows you to hear every squeak in the distance;
- Do not turn into “broody”. Try to read anything different from a cookbook and a television program per week. By the way, a great option is to read during breastfeeding. But first of all “have a talk” with a child – because he has been waiting for this moment of happiness. Look into his eyes, tell him that you love him. And when he slumbers, you can read for a while;
- Get new hobbies. The main thing is not to give the brain “to turn sour” in napkins and porridge;
- Take correct antidepressant medication. Nowadays there is a great number of depression pills, which will help you to cope with depression. You may buy antidepressants online at My Canadian Pharmacy on beneficial conditions. Study the full catalog and find your best treatment for depression: Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft, Paxil, Cymbalta, Lithium and others.
- Take vitamin C and calcium – a young mother experiences a particularly strong demand in these substances;
- Choose someone for the role of a therapist, who you can complain of your hard life. Some husbands cope perfectly with this job, but the others are capable of falling into depression, having heard of the problems of a woman. The mother is not very suitable for this role too – she may be very impressionable. But a sister or a girlfriend will suit you the best;
- Listen to the music or dance. You can do it with a baby in your arms. The rhythmic movements of the voice vibration (if you sing) will relax the mom and calm down the baby. By the way, during pregnancy you’d better learn the easiest auditory training for relaxation. Almost every people feel better after being in the nature, so a walk in the nearest park can give you a good mood and at the same time improve the face color.
Many of these recommendations seem commonplace to you and you might have already heard about them. But the main thing here is not a theory, but practice. Start making anything for yourself, even if it’s difficult. And soon you will see the results – they will reflect on you, your child and your whole family.